[Mimedefang] Sendmail problem..

Matt Bruce mbruce at insl.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 09:34:00 EST 2003

Mark,

> Sendmail doesn't take the virtusertable file in consideration
> so i can make all the rules i want... It just won't work !!

Had to be something like that.

> Does anyone have a clue as of why this might happen?
>
> Sendmail-8.12.6
> config.mc: FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash -o
> /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl
> sendmail.cf: Kvirtuser hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable

I suspect it's something to do with that fact you're compiling the new
file over the source file (i.e. they both have the same name). The
"makemap hash [destfile] < [srcfile]" command creates a database file
called "[destfile]" out of "[srcfile]". It's like trying "gcc -o blah
blah".

My virtusertable* files are as follows:

  # ls -l /etc/mail/virt*
  -rw-r--r-- 1 root smmsp   159 Jan  8 12:08 virtusertable
  -rw-r----- 1 root smmsp 12288 Jan 14 10:59 virtusertable.db

  # file /etc/mail/virt*
  virtusertable:    ASCII text
  virtusertable.db: Berkeley DB (Hash, version 7, native byte-order)

Different sizes and different contents. I'd suggest you use
"virtusertable" as the source file and "virtusertable.db" as the
compiled file (or "virtusertable.src" as the source and "virtusertable"
as the destination - whatever floats your boat), and then reference the
compiled database file in your Sendmail config.

> Sendmail doesn't even complain when there is no
> /etc/mail/virtusertable(.db).

If you increase your Sendmail logging you may be able to determine the
error from the logs. In sendmail.mc:

  define(`confLOG_LEVEL',`98')dnl

Then watch your mail logfile while starting Sendmail. My guess is that
it silently fails when reading virtusertable, as it's a plain text file.

HTH,
Matt