[Mimedefang] Sendmail problem..

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Mon Jan 13 15:49:01 EST 2003

On 13 Jan 2003 at 14:44, Richardson  M. wrote:

> I recieve e-mail for a sub.domain.com only (that's the intend at least).
> Sendmail automatically accepts mail for domain.com also and many people try
> to send my clients mail on user at domain.com, in the current situation no
> proper error message is generated...
>
> Both domain.com and sub.domain.com have an MX record which points to
> mail.domain.com while mail.domain.com is only configured to handle
> sub.domain.com mail.

I'm unclear as to whether your situation is:

1) Mail to user at domain.com shouldn't be accepted anywhere.

2) Mail to user at domain.com shouldn't be sent to mail.domain.com,
which doesn't know what to do with it, but should instead be sent to
unknown.domain.com which hasn't yet been mentioned.

Assuming that it's situation #1, you need make sure there aren't any
MX or A records for domain.com.

Once the MX for domain.com is removed, then mail to recipients at
domain.com will be automatically bounced with a "host unknown" (or
similar) error message.

If it's actually situation #2, then there are any number of
approaches that could work. :-)

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager