[Mimedefang] Sendmail problem..

Matt Bruce mbruce at insl.co.uk
Mon Jan 13 09:43:00 EST 2003

Hi Mark,

> I tried generating a nouser error via the virtusertable, this
> doesn't work; does nothing at all.

This is the solution I'd recommend (in lieu of doing something about the
policy of not accepting @domain.com mail). The syntax would be (as per
readme.cf):

@domain.com   error:5.7.0:550 We do not handle mail for that domain.

> Same goes for address rewriting using the virtusertable (@domain.com
> %1 at sub.domain.com).

I'm using this technique right now for testing and it's works a treat.
Though my company's primary domain is MX'd to one real IP and the
testing subdomain is MX'd to another real IP.

> OR my virtusertable is not processed by sendmail because of
> an .mc error, but this is unlikely as the entry in sendmail.cf
> is ok, or it is not processed because of the strange setup.

It's possible your sendmail.mc file is incorrect. The applicable entry
in mine is:

FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl

Don't forget - unless your /etc/init.d/sendmail script is set to do it
automagically - that you'll need to run the following script whenever
you modify the source file:

makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db < /etc/mail/virtusertable

Sorry if I've merely restated what you've done or the obvious, but I'm
at a loss to understand why it isn't working for you otherwise.

HTH,
Matt