[Mimedefang] inet option & mimedefang-multiplexor & performance

Fox, Randy Randy_Fox at csgsystems.com
Wed Jan 8 09:36:01 EST 2003

> I am interested to know which hardware people are using and
> how many mails
> they process with which filters.

We run 3 relays to the Internet running sendmail/MIMEDefang.  These forward internal mail to 2 frontend servers running sendmail.  These then forward the mail to the backend servers.  We've got backend servers in every major location with a design goal of 500 users max per backend.  I can't give you numbers that are strictly internal messages because the backend talk straight to one another but mail in/out the Internet is 50,000-80,000 per day.  The only problem I have is a bulk mail process that sends 10's of thousands of messages to customers' customers.  After much fine-tuning, we've decided to move this to dedicated outbound only relays that do not have MIMEDefang running.  This move should keep us around 50,000 per day.

Randy