[Mimedefang] Auto-whitelist for users [SPAM ASSASSIN]

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Jan 6 16:58:00 EST 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Albert E. Whale wrote:

> I'm not trying to rain upon your business op, (this is Still America,
> right?) but doesn't the To: field hold the ~?

The "~" means "current user's home directory".

By the time procmail executes, we know the user is local, and we know
the user identity.  In MIMEDefang, the address "foo at mydomain.net"
might not even be local -- there's no (easy) way for MIMEDefang to
tell.  And even it it is local, the "foo" part might be for a local
user called "bar", because of aliasing.

Per-user decisions are easiest left to procmail.  A good compromise is
to have MIMEDefang add an X-Spam-Score header, and then leave it up
to individual procmail scripts to dispose of the mail.  You can supply
canned procmail scripts for a few pre-configured ways to handle the spam.