[Mimedefang] Killing Slave Question

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Feb 26 11:40:01 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Bob Robichaud wrote:

> My server has 512 MB RAM
> I noticed sometimes I am running 8 slaves. Do I have sufficient memory.

Yes.  My rule of thumb is 16MB/slave, so you should easily handle
up to 32 slaves.

> I also noticed that most slaves are being killed do to idle timeout.
> I'm guessing this is the idleTime setting set to default of 300
> seconds.  This would suggest to me that I am getting hit with peaks
> of volume that requires 8 slaves, but most of them are killed soon after.

Right.

> Is 300 seconds a reasonable time in my situation or should I be killing them
> sooner.

You could increase the timeout or (as Stephano McGee suggested) set
MX_MIN_SLAVES to 8 so you always have 8 slaves running.

Tuning MIMEDefang is fairly tricky; unless your server is showing signs
of strain, I wouldn't even bother.