[Mimedefang] MD unable to create spool directories

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Feb 25 09:35:01 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Clayton, Nik [IT] wrote:

>        The  fdopen() function may fail and not set errno if there
>        are no free stdio streams.

Ah; that makes sense now.  Rats!  That severely crimps MIMEDefang's
style.  You probably only see it on very busy mail servers because the
descriptors don't typically stay open for very long.

I may have to re-work mimedefang.c to use open() and write() rather
than fdopen() and fwrite(), because the limits on file descriptors
are a lot more reasonable than the limits on number of streams.

>     #define _NFILE 	20
>     #define FOPEN_MAX 	_NFILE

It's even worse in Linux glibc: The limit is 16.  However, because of
the way Linux implements threads, I'm not sure if the limit is
per-thread or per-process.

Thanks for digging this out!  I'll certainly look at ways around it.