[Mimedefang] X-Scanned-By and MIME-Version headers

Jay Levitt jay-defang at shopwatch.org
Sat Feb 22 23:16:01 EST 2003

> Well, on my Red Hat 7.2 box,
>
> -x '""'
>
> works...

Fascinating!  I am running Mandrake 9.0, and it doesn't.  I downloaded the
relevant 7.2 RPMs from Red Hat, and process.c (initscripts), initlog.c
(initscripts), poptparse.c (popt or rpm) and the daemon() function in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions (initscripts) are all implemented identically.

I'm curious, if you'll indulge me... on my system, for the following
testargs.c:

-----
#include <stdio.h>

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  int i;

  for (i=0;i<argc;i++) {
    printf("%d:|%s|  ", i, argv[i]);
  }

  printf("\n");
  exit(0);
}
-----

and test.sh of

-----
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
daemon  ./testargs -x '""' -z
-----

I get the following line in /var/log/messages running test.sh:

testargs: 0:|./testargs|  1:|-x|  2:|-z|

It sounds like on Red Hat 7.2 you would get:

testargs: 0:|./testargs|  1:|-x|  2:||  3:|-z|

and I can't understand why.

In any case, given that specifying a null string on the command line is
apparently non-portable, would you consider the enclosed patch, which adds
a -X option to set scan_body to the null string?