[Mimedefang] Multiplexor Issue

Jesus Martinez Rubio jmrubio at abasesores.es
Fri Feb 14 13:18:01 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm using Mimedefang for filtering, scanning, etc, and also for logging in
SQL a lot of information about every email.

Unfortunatelly, the content of variables is not saved between calls to
functions filter_sender, filter_recipient and filter_begin because the
multiplexor can switch to other free mimedefang.pl process.
That it's very good for speed, but very bad for complex applications that
require to mantain the general context of all the email.

For example, I save some data in a new record of the table "mail" when is
executed filter_sender, and also data of recipients in table "recipients"
where is executed filter_recipients, and so on for attachments, etc. With
that issue, it impossible to know with absolutly sure, which
"mail_identifier" of the database I created when filter_sender was called,
when I must to use it in filter_recipient in order to establish the correct
relation of the data between tables.

I have also other issues for this reason, but all is easy to resolve for me
(using shared memory or inserting temporal variables in the database), if we
find a solution to mantain at least one identifier between sessions.

Could be an easy and very beautiful solution, to insert a variable in
mimedefang or mimedefang-multiplexor, using a subrutine
"insert_backtracking" in filter_sender, filter_relay or filter_recipient,
that injects for example a 64 bits integer that is returned in the global
variable $tracking and usable for example in filter_begin.

Jesus Martinez Rubio
IT Telco Admin