[Mimedefang] Reject :451 4.7.1 Please try again later

Mike Smith mike at ftl.com
Thu Feb 6 16:36:01 EST 2003

David F. Skoll said:
> Most likely, you're running out of slaves.  Use the "-l" option on
mimedefang-multiplexor to know for sure -- it will log messages.  To fix the
problem, *if* your machine can handle the load, increase the maximum number of
slaves (-x option to mimedefang-multiplexor) and make sure you don't use the -W
option (or set it to zero).  See the mimedefang-multiplexor man page for details.

 It does seem that I'm running out of slaves.

Feb  6 07:26:14 local at scl8mr02 mimedefang[23601]: [ID 847421 mail.error] Error from
multiplexor: error: No free slaves
Feb  6 07:26:14 local at scl8mr02 mimedefang[23601]: [ID 847421 mail.error] Error from
multiplexor: error: No free slaves

 However, this isn't the way I'd expect things to flow. Like I said I'm in the
process of migrating from spamass-milter/spamd setup. With SA/spamd, I NEVER had
these types of messages. It would hit the max number of spamd processes and but it
would never reject the mail.

Feb  6 13:27:12 local at scl8mr03 spamd[4257]: hit max-children limit (10): waiting for
some to exit

 Is there any way to have MD wait for an available slave or, just let the mail
through after a certain wait and the milter basically fails out. Seems the F= line
is being ignored?

 - Mike