[Mimedefang] Re: Unsafe file types

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Tue Dec 2 15:49:36 EST 2003

At 10:14 AM 12/2/2003, Les Mikesell wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 08:23, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> > Again, that is wishful thinking.  You can scream from the rooftops not to
> > open a message with a certain subject (I love you) with threats of
> > termination and some moron will still open it.
>
>I don't think a person using a program in a normal and expected
>way should be considered a moron, and you should expect to be
>able to open your email.

If someone is driving down the road and their tire blows out, that's an
accident in the course of using their car in a normal and expected way.  If
someone drives past a big, flashy sign that says "Do not enter! Severe tire
damage!" and shreds their tires, I think you might have a case for calling
that person a moron.

A better example:  When you buy food, you expect it to be safe.  If it
turns out to be tainted somehow, you can hardly be blamed for eating
it.  Now suppose the distributor announces a recall.  Suppose that you hear
about the recall, clearly enough that it's obvious that the unopened carton
of milk *in your refrigerator* will put you in the hospital.  It's front
page news, and people you know are telling you to check the milk in your
fridge to make sure it's not part of the recall.  Then you drink it anyway.

It's bad enough that people in general aren't careful enough about opening
mysterious attachments, but when you specifically tell someone, "Don't open
anything labeled 'Wicked
Screensaver!'" - and they open it anyway, you really have to wonder what's
going through their minds.

Kelson Vibber