[Mimedefang] using sa-learn in conjunction with mimedefang

Douglas, Jason jdouglas at municipality.clarington.on.ca
Tue Dec 23 12:47:28 EST 2003

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if I am teaching my spamassassing incorrectly. What I do
is keep the spam messages in a certain spam folder. Then I run sa-learn
as root like so:

    sa-learn --spam -C /etc/mail/spamassassin  --showdots --dir SPAM/

In /etc/mail/spamassassin/ there is a file called local.cf which
contains:

    auto_whitelist_path        /var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist
    auto_whitelist_file_mode   0666
    bayes_path /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes

Sa-learn created the bayes files (bayes_msgcount, bayes_seen,
bayes_toks) in /etc/mail/spamassassin/ the first time I ran it.

My MIMEDefang runs as the user defang. Is there something else I have to
do in order to get the sa-learn to work correctly with MIMEDefang? The
types of spam I teach it still seem to get through (although they had
very low scores to begin with, like 2.7). Am I wasting my time trying to
teach it these very low scoring messages?

Thanks!

Jason Douglas
Network Support Technician