[Mimedefang] Caution! Bogus antispam registry

Network Guy netguy at sound-networking.com
Tue Dec 30 20:10:41 EST 2003

hi

[snip]

> Has anyone ever setup a system for a hidden mailto (i.e. white on white) on
> webpages that then logs all the information about people who spam that
> hidden mailto?  This would be a great way to cut down on scrappers and it's
> just came into my head but I imagine someone else must have thought of it.

Did something almost like that about 4 years ago.   Friend and I were
watching the web server and just happened to see a domain name that stuck
in our minds, then almost immediately seen the same domain dump messages
on the mail server. Gee, we thought; how do they get those email names?
We wern't even thinking about spam bots or spiders at all.  Actually
spiders and bots were at the bottom of our short list on how spammers
got email addys.  Decided to test and put a completely bogus email adddy
on a web site ( something like 5a3eVbB4y@ ), and we put it in a comment
field.  Within three days, that addy was been hit multiple times a day.
Removed it quite fast from the web server.  I still get spam for it ->
probably one or two a day.

tod