[Mimedefang] Re: SMTP mailertable question

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Tue Dec 30 14:55:37 EST 2003

On 30 Dec 2003 at 12:29, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Cormack, Ken wrote:
>
> > Doing as you suggest with MX records, though it could be cool, requires the
> > creation of a seperate DNS domain.  And at the moment, our DNS is in a
> > transistion period as Active Directory is melded with BIND 9.
>
> But you can run a caching nameserver on your Sendmail machine and add
> your own fake zone just for the mailertable purpose.  It's easy and doesn't
> impact the rest of your network (no other machines need know about it.)

And if other internal machines *do* need to know about it, how about
using split-horizon DNS with bind9 views?  Then any tricky stuff can
be made visible to only particular machines.

Something like:

view "internal" {
	// This should match our internal network.
	match-clients {
		192.168.1.0/24;
		127.0.0.1;
	};
	// Provide recursive service to internal clients only.
	recursion yes;

	zone "Example.COM"{
		type master;
		file "pz/db.example-int";