[Mimedefang] Re: SMTP mailertable question

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Tue Dec 30 11:22:16 EST 2003

* Cormack, Ken <kcormack at acs.roadway.com>
> My problem, like yours, is that I have a pair of relays in my DMZ. I
> wanted the internal host to be able to send outbound mail to the
> secondary system, in the event the primary was down.

Set the SMART_HOST value to a DNS name that has MX records pointing to
each of the DMZ pairs.

$ host -t mx example.org
example.org mail is handled by 7 mx1.example.org.
example.org mail is handled by 7 mx2.example.org.

define(`SMART_HOST', `example.org.')

> It would be nice if the sendmail folks would allow "SmartHost" to
> contain a list of hosts to be tried in sequence. But in the meantime,
> a hack such as mine, though certainly not pretty, works quite well.

define(`confFALLBACK_MX', `mail.example.org')