[Mimedefang] Caution! Bogus antispam registry

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Tue Dec 30 11:10:57 EST 2003

> So how about signing up some community spam traps? Anything that goes to
> those will be known spam and automatically registered for recognition.

I love doing this.  I use "catchalls" with virtusertable to receive all
emails to a dummy domain so I can register with emails like
kevin-amazon at blah.com.  The sad part is I have tracked quite a few
legitimate companies who have obviously had their databases compromised.

Iwon is the worst in recent memory because they claim to sell their mailing
list supposedly for one-time use only but (by my spamtraps)obviously people
have gotten a hold of their list from that and have it circulating the
spamming community.

Has anyone ever setup a system for a hidden mailto (i.e. white on white) on
webpages that then logs all the information about people who spam that
hidden mailto?  This would be a great way to cut down on scrappers and it's
just came into my head but I imagine someone else must have thought of it.

Regards,
KAM