[Mimedefang] SMTP mailertable question

Justin justin at othius.com
Tue Dec 30 10:51:47 EST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> If I have a clustered mail server behind my mail filter, how would
> configure the mailertable to deliver messages to server1, but if it is
> down, deliver it to server2? Something along the lines of MX records
> with different preference values.  If I wanted to use DNS, I would have
> to set up separate DNS servers just for the mail filter and I'd rather
> not go through that effort.

I have done this by setting up a private domain that contains internal MX
records for the Exchange organization, so the sendmail gateways can
deliver to any of the Exchange servers.

If you don't want to setup split DNS, you can do something like:

newyork.clustered.relays.mydomain.com
IN MX 10 one.local.server.
IN MX 10 two.local.server.
IN MX 20 one.remote.server.
IN MX 20 two.remote.server.

And then in mailertable
mydomain.com   smtp:newyork.clustered.relays.mydomain.com

-Justin