[Mimedefang] Interesting idea to hassle spammers

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Tue Dec 30 09:56:29 EST 2003

On 12/30/03 at 09:49, 'twas brillig and David F. Skoll scrobe:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
>
> > I've noticed that some of the spam we are receiving is being directed to
> > an MX that has a higher preference setting in the DNS.  What would happen
> > if I were to add a MX 200 record and point it to a tar pit?  Slow those
> > lying scum right down if enough people do that!
>
> My thoughts on tarpits are at:
>
> http://www.google.ca/groups?selm=9GudnWadm76znyGjXTWcqQ%40magma.ca&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
>
> The article is entitled "Tarpitting is useless", which pretty much sums
> up my belief. :-)

David -
	Agreed, with the understanding that you're implicitly
referring to *SMTP* tarpitting. I'm very pleased with labrea's effect
on subnet-wide portscans, for instance..

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-ninja; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key