[Mimedefang] sa-learn HowTo ?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Thu Dec 25 06:44:37 EST 2003

I read the thread "using sa-learn in conjunction with mimedefang"
with interest, since in the past weeks we've been receiving tons
of hefty spam that scores below our SA threshold of 5.0.  Does
everyone else get spam with text such as ?
    How can it be.. BETTER THEN V_IAGRA! open to see.
    FULLY DO.CTOR APP.ROVED . L.EARN MOR.E!
    etc.

I get many of these myself, plus lots more forwarded from my
colleagues.  SA obviously needs to learn that this is spam...

Probably there are many of us who badly need a HowTo document
on the training of SpamAssassin through sa-learn.  Can someone
knowledgable give us a cookbook recipe ?

The scenario is that I have spam as well as forwarded spam in my
mailbox.  What do I do then, save the message-source incl. headers
to a file in some directory ?  What is then done with those
files, how does one run sa-learn correctly ?  How about clean-up of
messages which have already been subjected to learning ?  It seems
to me that a script is needed (?), and should it be run as user
root or defang ?  Must the MimeDefang daemons be restarted every
time sa-learn has been run ?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Ole Holm Nielsen
Dept. of Physics, Technical University of Denmark