[Mimedefang] SMTP + SPF

Alan Madill amadill at hwy16.com
Thu Dec 25 00:05:24 EST 2003

> Support the development and deployment of SMTP+SPF, which should allow
> everyone else to determine where the legitimate e-mail for your domain
> originates from, and reject the rest instead of bouncing it:
>
> http://spf.pobox.com/intro.html

We finally have our new sendmail server online.  It's running MD
and SA with basic MD filtering turned on by default.  Today it
quarantined a half dozen files "An attachment named
www.paypal.com.scr was removed from this document as it
constituted a security hazard."  It's a variant of Minmail that
NAI/McAfee doesn't pick up.

SMTP needs some sort of extension that will prevent
communication without authentication.  SPF is a start.

With Razor, RBL's, Bayes etc the SMTP/Internet system is starting
to adapt itself dynamically but in somewhat less than real time to
various threats.  This is hard to do without verification of the sender.
The SPF initiative is worth backing.

Another component that might help would be real time
communication between servers running applications like
MimeDefang and SpamAssassin.  Our servers spend a lot of time
re-learning what other servers have discovered.  For instance, my
server could have let the world know that I had an IP address that
was sending out an apparent virus.

May you all have a spam free New Year.  Happy Holiday.

-
Alan Madill
http://www.hwy16.com/~amadill