[Mimedefang] What to do about bounced forgeries?

Rick Mallett rmallett at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Dec 22 11:47:10 EST 2003

In an earlier post David mentioned that he gets about 300 (over 250)
"..User unknown" messages a day, but I assume that he runs a fairly low
volume server, and I'm curious to know how many such messages are being
seen by those of you who process in excess of 100,000 messages a day. Is
anyone else seeing the 500Kplus messages that we are seeing.

On another note, it seems obvious that the spammers have found a way
to hijack home systems and use them to send their payload, given that
the same message (or a close proximity) is delivered in the same time
frame from dozens of different systems in different domains. Does
anyone have any specific knowledge of what that mechanism is? I
assume its a trojan/virus that waits for instructions on a given
port and distributes spam as per those instructions.

- rick