[Mimedefang] Missing Subject: on MIME multi-part mailing list digests

Mike Batchelor mikebat at tmcs.net
Wed Dec 17 13:52:47 EST 2003

MIMEDefang 2.38 seems to eliminate the Subject: line from the MIME parts of
mailing list digests.

Please see http://lax1utlns1.tmcs.net/patchmgmt1.txt for a mangled example.
An unmangled example is at http://lax1utlns1.tmcs.net/patchmgmt2.txt.

The first example mailing list digest shows up in Outlook with each part
titled with the contents of the "name=" field (identical to the "filename="
field).  Note that the Subject: header is empty in each MIME part.  The 2nd
example - not mangled - shows up in Outlook with each attachment titled
according to the Subject: header in the MIME part.

I had to add code to the mimedefang-filter to except this digest's SMTP
sender from further filtering.  If I do not except this sender with code
added to filter_recipient(), it gets mangled as in example #1.  I'd rather
not have to maintain a list of digest senders we don't want mangled.  How
do I get MIMEdefang to stop mangling the Subject: in each MIME part?

---
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
 -- Kosh