[Mimedefang] Re: Using a provided-version of sendmail (not self-compiled)

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Wed Dec 17 13:28:12 EST 2003

At 09:03 AM 12/17/2003, Justin wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Rich Stanton wrote:
>>I also didn't realise that yellowdog was a straight port of redhat
>
>To the best of my knowledge it isn't and never has been.  I ran it myself
>for years up until last Spring.  It's a Redhat-like distribution but it's
>no more Redhat than Mandrake is IMHO.

Well, Yellow Dog Linux's own site describes it as a Red Hat based distro,
and their FAQ states that it's built from Red Hat source code.  They even
use Bluecurve as the default theme (though they've had to rename it
Wonderland). Maybe earlier versions diverged more, but YDL 3 appears to be
a fairly straight port of RH9 (plus yum, Mac-on-Linux, etc.) Whether
they'll base YDL 4 on a highly-QA'd Fedora or go their own way, I couldn't
guess.

Regarding sendmail specifically, it looks like YDL 3.0.1 ships with version
8.12.8 plus backported patches.  Assuming they enable milter by default,
the stock version should be sufficient for MIMEDefang.

Kelson Vibber