[Mimedefang] Using a provided-version of sendmail (not self-compiled)

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue Dec 16 10:11:57 EST 2003

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 12/16/2003 06:25:02
AM:
> This is a real newbie question, but hopefully that should make it easy
> answer!  I want to set mimedefang up on a yellow dog 3 system, which
uses
> rpm.  I don't have the knowledge to adapt the spec file for mimedefang
to my
> needs, so am going to install from source.  However I would like to
stick
> with the provided version of sendmail, since using rpms makes everything
> easier to keep up to date as new versions with bug fixes are released.
> Doing "sendmail -d0.1 -bv root" shows that the provided version has been
> compiled with milter support, but is there anyway to check whether it
was
> compiled with "conf_libmilter_ENVDEF', `-D_FFR_MILTER_ROOT_UNSAFE'" or
not
> (I'm following Mickey Hills guide here).
>
> Secondly, the guide mentions copying the header & library files from the
> sendmail source.  I've checked in the destination folder where the guide
> says to put these files, and they aren't there.  So what is the best way
of
> getting them (or are they likely to be installed elsewhere, or be
available
> in an rpm - the distro is red-hat based).  I fully admit I have no idea
what
> these 'header files & libraries' do!  Is it possible to grab the
sendmail
> source, compile it but not install it and then copy the headers etc from
> that compiled version, or will they not be compatible with my rpm
version of
> sendmail if I havn't used exactly the same options at compilation time?

As another relative newbie, I would recommend that you uninstall the RPM,
and then compile sendmail from source.  The only issue I ran into using
that method was getting a sendmail install script that would work
correctly.  I use SuSE, so the install script in Mickey Hill's HowTo
didn't work quite right.  I took the one SuSE provided, but then had to
modify it.  SuSE is still distributing sendmail 8.12.6, even on their
online update. Check what your distro is providing.  Compiling yourself
let's you control that.

Just my inflated two cents.