[Mimedefang] Using a provided-version of sendmail (not self-compiled)

Stefano McGhee SMcGhee at ARCweb.com
Tue Dec 16 08:23:00 EST 2003

Hi Rich,

> Secondly, the guide mentions copying the header & library
> files from the
> sendmail source.  I've checked in the destination folder
> where the guide
> says to put these files, and they aren't there.  So what is
> the best way of
> getting them (or are they likely to be installed elsewhere,
> or be available
> in an rpm - the distro is red-hat based).  I fully admit I
> have no idea what
> these 'header files & libraries' do!  Is it possible to grab
> the sendmail
> source, compile it but not install it and then copy the
> headers etc from
> that compiled version, or will they not be compatible with my
> rpm version of
> sendmail if I havn't used exactly the same options at
> compilation time?

	I've been a newbie for years, but I might be able to offer a couple
suggestions.  I believe there is a source rpm that might give you the
headers and libraries that you seek.  Just like there is a sendmail binary
rpm, I believe there is also a src rpm of the *same* version (obviously
that's important) that should exist for you to install.  Just check
rpmfind.net or wherever you usually get your rpms from.

HTH,

Stefano