[Mimedefang] Using a provided-version of sendmail (not self-compiled)

Rich Stanton richard.stanton1 at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 16 06:25:02 EST 2003

Hi,

This is a real newbie question, but hopefully that should make it easy to
answer!  I want to set mimedefang up on a yellow dog 3 system, which uses
rpm.  I don't have the knowledge to adapt the spec file for mimedefang to my
needs, so am going to install from source.  However I would like to stick
with the provided version of sendmail, since using rpms makes everything
easier to keep up to date as new versions with bug fixes are released.
Doing "sendmail -d0.1 -bv root" shows that the provided version has been
compiled with milter support, but is there anyway to check whether it was
compiled with "conf_libmilter_ENVDEF', `-D_FFR_MILTER_ROOT_UNSAFE'" or not
(I'm following Mickey Hills guide here).

Secondly, the guide mentions copying the header & library files from the
sendmail source.  I've checked in the destination folder where the guide
says to put these files, and they aren't there.  So what is the best way of
getting them (or are they likely to be installed elsewhere, or be available
in an rpm - the distro is red-hat based).  I fully admit I have no idea what
these 'header files & libraries' do!  Is it possible to grab the sendmail
source, compile it but not install it and then copy the headers etc from
that compiled version, or will they not be compatible with my rpm version of
sendmail if I havn't used exactly the same options at compilation time?

Thanks for any advice!!