[Mimedefang] Handling mailing lists

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Mon Dec 15 13:08:44 EST 2003

I was thinking about the best way to handle mailing lists in mimedefang.
For mailing lists you never want to reject mail, as it will just bounce it
back to the mailing list.
How do you identify what is a mailing list?

Enter in relays manually.

Identify mailing lists by email characteristics.

What are the characteristics of email mailing lists?

Mail sent from same to address.
Multiple mail messages are sent to the same user on the system
Relativelly higher mail volume than normal mail, depending on your
traffic, a larger number of messages will come from a mailing list relay
than a non mailing list relay.
Headers indicate the brand of the mailing list software.
Certain mail relays handle a large number of mailing lists:
lists.sourceforge, etc.

Other characteristics I am missing on how to identify mailing lists?
The goal would be to programmatically identify mailing lists and handle
them differently then normal mail, to tag but not reject messages from
them.

--Luke