[Mimedefang] 'remove_redundant_html_parts called outside of filter_end' problem

Justin listuser at numbnuts.net
Wed Dec 10 14:41:02 EST 2003

I suspect that I must have fat fingered something somewhere but I haven't
been able to track it down.  I get an error in my messages log like this
one each time I receive a message:

Dec 10 13:30:24 spock perl: remove_redundant_html_parts called outside of
filter_end

I must have fat fingered something.  I've gone through it a number of
times though and haven't found a typo.  I had to comment out the final
brace; otherwise MD would complain about having an unmatched brace.  I
can't find a brace that doesn't having a match though.  I'm enclosing my
mimedefang-filter in case someone has time to browse through it for
something I did wrong.

Although I believe it's unrelated to this problem, I also believe there is
something in my mimedefang-filter that's causing MD to temp fail very very
often.  I have to flush my tmpfs spool directory a couple times a day to
prevent it from filling with abandoned mdefang-* directories, effectively
stopping all mail delivery.  tmpwatch is a godsend for that BTW.  I went
through a couple of the Work directories in the spool just now and found
that all of them contain a copy of W32/Swen.A at mm.  ClamAV isn't picking it
up for some reason.  F-prot did though.  Could this be what's causing MD
to tempfail mail?  Here's an example of what MD logs when it temp fails a
message:

Dec  7 04:07:27 spock sendmail[10945]: hB7A7Rtl010945: SMTP MAIL command
(<twmcbryde at worldnet.att.net> S
IZE=159493) from mtiwmhc13.worldnet.att.net [204.127.131.117] tempfailed
(due to previous checks)
Dec  7 04:07:46 spock sendmail[10925]: hB7A6itl010925: Milter
(mimedefang): timeout before data read
Dec  7 04:07:46 spock sendmail[10925]: hB7A6itl010925: Milter
(mimedefang): to error state
Dec  7 04:07:46 spock sendmail[10925]: hB7A6itl010925: Milter: data,
reject=451 4.7.1 Please try again l
ater
Dec  7 04:07:46 spock sendmail[10925]: hB7A6itl010925:
to=<usenet at mydomain.net>, delay=00:01:02, pri=18
7120, stat=Please try again later

Now I'm not so sure my mimedefang-filter is causing all the temp failures.
Is ClamAV at fault here?  I figured I'd ask both questions at the same
time rather than sending my mimedefang-filter twice.  If anyone has any
ideas about either of my problems I'd love to hear them.  mimedefang.pl
-test liked my mimedefang-filter at least.

Many thanks
 Justin