[Mimedefang] HTML mail

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Dec 10 12:20:34 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:

> OK, but explain RFC 1521 to the upper management officer who is negotiating
> a new e-mail marketing campaign with an outside agency and can't see it.

Very simple.

"Dear Upper Management officer,

 The reaon you cannot see the e-mail marketing campaign mail is that the
 agency sending the e-mail is violating one of the standards on which
 Internet e-mail is built.

 Given this, it is very likely that many other recipients will also
 be unable to see e-mail from that agency.  It's a sign that we should
 perhaps look for another marketing agency that respects Internet standards,
 and will send out e-mail that our customers are likely to be able to read."

That would certainly grab my attention!

> I have no problem with the option to delete HTML parts.  As long as it's an
> option.

It is an option.

> It's kind of a scary option, because it deletes content without the
> administrator specifically saying to do so.  As such I think having the
> option on by default is likely to burn a lot of administrators.  Paul's idea
> of making it an option during installation seems to make sense.

It is an option.  The example filter is just that:  An example.  I assume
that when you install a new system, you modify the /etc/passwd file that
the vendor supplies. :-)

I like having it on by default, because it raises awareness of incorrect
behavior on the Internet.  I would much rather a complaint go out to
the marketing company than have the sysamin acquiesce.