[Mimedefang] greylisting stats

Tyler security at hudakville.com
Wed Dec 10 11:21:48 EST 2003

Hello all!

 We recently implemented David's code for greylisting and have had
tremendous results. Our spam intake has dropped dramatically because of
it!  However, I'd like to do some stats on it to see how much we're
actually blocking, etc, but I'm having some problems with it.

 If I get a count from the greylist database for triads (sender, recip,
IP) that have only been sent once, that will give me a rough idea of the
number of emails thwarted from greylisting, but doesn't necessarily mean
that they were all spam.  There could be valid, mis-configured email
servers in there, servers that haven't resent, etc and this will throw
off the numbers.

 I was thinking about taking the count that I get, subtracting 25% and
using that as a rough estimate.  I know that an accurate number is not
going to be possible, but I'd like to get as accurate as possible.  What
are people's thoughts on this or what are others doing?

Tyler