[Mimedefang] patch to add blocking of encrypted email via uvscan

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Tue Dec 9 13:04:10 EST 2003

> 	I understand, and the points you (and others) have raised are
> valid. The breakdown I see is at the UI -- it's no longer a
> point-n-click activation. Now it's point-n-click, re-read message,
> type. (possibly lather/repeat steps 2 and 3, particularly for random
> strings.) Moreover, even braindead unpatched lookOut clients won't be
> able to auto-launch the content; there will be a requirement for user
> interaction that goes well beyond the reflexive index finger on the
> mousebutton. I think that's enough of a stumbling block that this
> paradigm won't achieve critical mass.
>
> 		Ole

I must note that Windows XP has a built-in un-zipper.  Drop a .zip archive
to your hard drive on XP, and you can navigate it as you would a directory,
in Windows Explorer.

I'm not sure how this interacts with encryption though.  But it's food for
thought - unzipping is becoming much easier for Joe User.