[Mimedefang] patch to add blocking of encrypted email via uvscan

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Dec 8 14:32:30 EST 2003

--On Sunday, December 07, 2003 11:58 AM -0700 Lucas Albers
<admin at cs.montana.edu> wrote:

> Currently clamscan,f-prot will decrypt password protected zip files, and
> detect virus.
> Mcafee will not.

Huh? Where does the passphrase come from? It can't be good encryption if the
virus scanner can get into it.

OTOH, if the encrypted payload is identical each time, then the scanner can
recognize it without decrypting it. But then we don't care if the payload is
encrypted, because we already know it's hostile without opening it.