[Mimedefang] Out of memory?

Andrew S. Johnson andy at asjohnson.com
Sat Dec 6 23:35:36 EST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 07:31 am, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
>
> > Personally, I think that if you can only have 128MB in the machine, then
> > mimedefang (or any perl/python milter program) is not going to work for
> > you.
>
> It depends on the mail volume.  We ran our mail server on a 128MB machine for
> years, until about two months ago.
>
> --
> David.

Problem solved.  The Bayes filter "knew too much".  It had auto learned so
many spams over the last several months that mimedefang began choking
as it tried to open the database. I rebuilt it using just a few hundred spams
and hams, and it is working much better now.

Maybe there should be a config option that limits the size of the bayes
database, if there isn't already one I don't know about.  Turning off auto
learn would fix that too, but it seems useful as spammers get more and
more creative trying to obfuscate their messages.

Andy Johnson