[Mimedefang] common practice

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Dec 5 22:23:56 EST 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Cor Bosman wrote:

> > If different recipients have different spam criteria - for
> > instance if one wants to block everything with a score above 20,
> > another wants to block everything with a score above 7, and
> > another wants to block only messages found in Razor - you'll need
> > to look into using stream_by_recipient so that each can be handled
> > individually.

> Surely this is only meant for small sites :) We do 3+ million emails a day.
> Last thing I want is resend what's probably hundreds of thousands of
> emails. We get emails with large amounts of recipients.

No, the streaming facility is meant for everyone.  And although you may get
a few emails with many recipients; I bet 90%+ of your e-mail is for a single
recipient only.

Streaming is the only way you can use milter to apply different filtering
rules for different people.  And the streaming implementation is reasonably
intelligent -- it resents mail in deferred mode.  So if mail comes in for
300 recipients, you don't get the system trying to run 300 copies of
MIMEDefang in parallel.  You get a lot of queue activity as the mail is
queued, and then during the next queue run, the 300 copies are delivered
serially.

I would suggest that it's reasonable to lower MaxRecipientsPerMessage
to 50 or so; I don't think 300 recipients/e-mail is reasonable.