[Mimedefang] Dictionary attacks, NDRs etc..

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Fri Dec 5 14:24:16 EST 2003

Sorry, premature "send"... anyway

Here's an idea - detect dictionary attacks and return 550's for *every*
email address once an attack has been detected.

For example, if f at example.com is valid but a through e aren't...

Legitimate email comes in:
MAIL FROM: legitimate at example.org (OK)
RCPT TO: a at example.com (let me check... doesn't exist, sorry - 550)
RCPT TO: f at example.com (let me check... go ahead - 200)
DATA (etc.)

Dictionary attack:
MAIL FROM: legitimate at example.org (OK)
RCPT TO: a at example.com (let me check... doesn't exist, sorry - 550)
RCPT TO: b at example.com (let me check... doesn't exist, sorry - 550)
RCPT TO: c at example.com (let me check... doesn't exist, sorry - 550)
RCPT TO: d at example.com (just a minute...
at this point the server should suspect, check for, and recognize a
dictionary attack.
All future RCPT's should be auto-550'd, and a warning message sent to the
administrator.
[Perhaps this RCPT TO: could be fake-200'd, and the message quarantined?]
						anyway, doesn't exist, sorry
- 550
)
RCPT TO: e at example.com (I'm ignoring you... doesn't exist, sorry - 550)
RCPT TO: f at example.com (I'm ignoring you... doesn't exist, sorry - 550)
RCPT TO: g at example.com (I'm ignoring you... doesn't exist, sorry - 550)

Note f is fake-550'd even though it does exist