[Mimedefang] common practice

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Fri Dec 5 13:00:48 EST 2003

At 06:16 AM 12/5/2003, Cor Bosman wrote:
>Hi all, we're setting up a MD system and im wondering what the best practice
>is for dealing with email sent to multiple recipients that you'd like to
>block after the sendmail DATA phase (for instance after SA has said it's
>spam). Obviously you cant individually send 5xx after data phase. Only can
>either silently drop the message or bounce.  Both have their bad points.

If you want to block all of them on the same criteria, I recommend just
using action_bounce.  This will send an SMTP reject code, so you don't have
to worry about generating bounce messages to possibly fake senders - *and*
if it's a false positive, the sender knows his mail didn't go through.

If different recipients have different spam criteria - for instance if one
wants to block everything with a score above 20, another wants to block
everything with a score above 7, and another wants to block only messages
found in Razor - you'll need to look into using stream_by_recipient so that
each can be handled individually.

Kelson Vibber