[Mimedefang] File Magic

Jared Armstrong mimedefang at snow.alyeskaresort.com
Wed Dec 3 19:22:40 EST 2003

Stopping viruses is a big part of blocking attachments, but not the only
reason.  Other 'Timewasters' should also be considered for deletion, or at
least quarantine.

We already block the automatic execution of attachments, by not running mail
clients that even consider automatic execution.  i.e. no MS.

I just now read your earlier post.  It is almost exactly what I was looking
for, just with a different Perl module.  Thanks.

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 13:31, Lucas Albers wrote:
> The whole point of blocking attachment is to block virus's.
> If they rename the extension, then the executable will not execute
> automatically, and you have then blocked the virus.
> See my earlier post on how to do this using file::magic.
>
> > I am already discarding filenames based on extension, but some of my
> > users are learning to change extensions to get past the re_match check.
> >
> > Good idea?  Bad idea?  Should I just shut up and try it?

[Jared Armstrong                                     System Administrator]
[Alyeska Resort                                      907.754.2100        ]
[http://www.alyeskaresort.com                                            ]
[http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFA0320D7            ]

The bugs you have to avoid are the ones that give the user not only
the inclination to get on a plane, but also the time.
		-- Kay Bostic