[Mimedefang] Re: Unsafe file types

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Wed Dec 3 16:25:48 EST 2003

Depends on your current situation.
I can't block office extensions, and I realize I have a window of
vulnerability if a a new office virus comes out.
I block a huge number of other attachments, and have had 100,000's of mail
messages go through, and never had a single complaint.
$bad_exts =
'(ade|adp|app|asd|asf|asx|bas|bat|chm|cmd|com|cpl|crt|dll|exe|fxp|hlp|hta|hto|inf|ini|ins|isp|jse?|lib|lnk|mdb|mde|msc|msi|msp|mst|ocx|pcd|pif|prg|reg|scr|sct|sh|shb|shs|sys|url|vb|vbe|vbs|vcs|vxd|wmd|wms|wmz|wsc|wsf|wsh|\{[^\}]+\})';

I also strip out html to protect against activex/html exploits, and strip
out web bugs so spammers don't know if anyone has seen their spam.

I thought I would get complaints with stripping html, but I have been
stripping html since july and no one has complained.

I also block the maximum level of mimeparts:
$MaxMIMEParts = 15;

Because virus scanners can't seem to scan attachments that have to many
mimeparts.

--Luke