[Mimedefang] Re: Unsafe file types

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue Dec 2 09:23:28 EST 2003

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 12/01/2003 11:10:03
PM:

> > Blocking documents is especially bad,
> > businesses run on them. Get a scanner that will scan for macro
viruses.

> Or use a document format that isn't active. How about some kind of
doc-to-RTF
> converter spawned by MD that replaces active documents with
presentation-only
> documents? I'd love it if Open Office supplied such a utility.

Nope.  Collaborative development of documents via email is essential to
many businesses.  I worked at a law firm before they had internet
connected email.  I spent many hours transferring documents such as
contracts for the lawyers so that they could modify them and send them
back.

> > No matter how tight you clamp down on your email, they will find ways
> > transfer the documents and files they need to. {thinking back to the
era
> > when there were no attachments on email and uuencode was the perfered
method
> > of choice, perhaps we'll be there again}. But the trouble is, the more
hoops
> > they jump through, the less productive they'll be.
>
> One hopes that users clever enough to jump through hoops are clever
enough not
> to blindly click on active attachments. This of course would not be an
issue
> if the most popular email client weren't so ready to run that active
content
> on your behalf. Much of the effort of filters like MD is to make up for
the
> promiscuity of that client.

Again, that is wishful thinking.  You can scream from the rooftops not to
open a message with a certain subject (I love you) with threats of
termination and some moron will still open it.  Even if you use MD to move
the file to a web server and zip it, some clown will just *HAVE* to look
at the file and do whatever it takes.

Some people just should not have computers.  Dedicated appliances like
Mail Station or WebTV are about all they can handle.