[Mimedefang] Agressive spammers

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Tue Dec 2 02:02:00 EST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, dimon at intellinetinc.com wrote:

> The only way to stop that I think is to no generate bounce message to the
> address in From: field, but to tell MTA that user doesn't exist (or other type
> of message) during the SMTP session. But that requires all mail administrators
> to upgrade (or fix, or configure) their mail servers, which is not realistic
> for now :-(((

Mail is no Instant Messaging Service; for instance if you send mail via
your ISPs MTA, how shall this MTA decide that the target MTA is or is not
accepting the mail? Would you like to be stalled until the complete chain
of MTAs returned a SMTP code (be it success or failure)? What about
temporary failures - do want to disable message queuing and re-transmit
the mail youself all the time?

The Message-ID idea of David is quite cool! Sort of authentification
token. However, then you should immediately update all News and Mail
archives to not display the MsgID. Perhaps the amount of lurkers on
mailing lists will dramatically increase - as you cannot easily disable
the MsgID as it used there for message threading, too.
Perhaps one should define a new ID for it, which is autogenerated by the
"last authoritive MTA of the sender" (perhaps a MSA) rather than the MUA
itself?

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser