[Mimedefang] Re: Unsafe file types

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Tue Dec 2 00:12:07 EST 2003

* Alan Madill <amadill at hwy16.com>
> I'm 1/2 of a century old and I DO think it is a MS issue. All of their
> software grew up in an environment where the local user was the worst
> enemy ("are you sure you want to format drive C:" well, ok). If you
> put a fresh install of WinXP SP1 on a system, plug it into the
> Internet, and leave it for 15 minutes you will have an exploited
> machine.

Whoa, 15 minutes? We're sub-60 seconds for infections on campus at the
University of Washington. Null routing and notification of network
contacts has been automated; users can go to a webpage to undo the null
route once they've fixed the problem.

Despite warnings, users still plug Micrsoft products into the network
"well, I needed keyboard drivers" leaving us to chase down the new
infected Windows box on the network. We are finding Windows boxes in
rooms no sysadmin has been into in years, hooked up to random biologic
hardware, without any support besides our sparing time to fix them.