[Mimedefang] Agressive spammers

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Dec 1 15:57:07 EST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> The blasted forged From: address is probably the worst problem out there for
> me.  I get hundreds and thousands of these per day and simply try and filter
> them as effectively as possible to postmaster instead of individual users.

I get a bazillion of them a day, also.  Luckily, the spammers are forging
either from random_junk at roaringpenguin.com, or from our public addresses
like sales@ or info@, which should never receive DSN's (so I bounce
anything from <> to one of those aliases.)

At some point, we'll need to implement a system that watches all outgoing
messages and records the Message-ID in a database somewhere.  If a bounce
comes in, it should contain that Message-ID somewhere in the DSN body.
If it doesn't, then the bounce isn't from a message we sent and we can
reject it.

This means you have to force all your outgoing messages through the
Message-ID recorder.  This can be tricky for many organizations.