[Mimedefang] Agressive spammers

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Mon Dec 1 15:53:39 EST 2003

The blasted forged From: address is probably the worst problem out there for
me.  I get hundreds and thousands of these per day and simply try and filter
them as effectively as possible to postmaster instead of individual users.

This mostly likely has nothing to do with your anti-spam activities, they
simply pick domains that legitimately resolve because many mailservers
simply drop or refuse email for domains that do not resolve.

Unfortunately, the only real fix is a way to validate that the From: is
correct for every mailserver in the world.  I think this is a flaw we are
going to have to live with and hope that laws against it become stronger and
more prevalent throughout the world with a greater ease of enforcement.
That's a really big HOPE.

KAM

> Recently, after I implemented tight spam filtering, spammers started
behave
> very agressive: they're using my domain names (with nonexistent users) and
> sometimes even existent users. So now I'm getting a lot of bounce messages
from
> legitimate email servers (vacation replies, nonexistent users, spam
filtering
> messages, etc.).
> And users are complaining that they're receiving those messages.
> Is there anything I can do about that? Does it worth any efforts at all?
Does