[Mimedefang] Re: Unsafe file types

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Mon Dec 1 15:40:54 EST 2003

At 12:13 PM 12/1/2003, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
>ACK!!! You are more right than you know.  I renamed a DOC file on my
>windoze box to RTF and it opened right up in Word.  Then i noticed my fat
>fingers entered the extension as .rth, and it still opened in Word.  How
>F***'ED UP is that??

Wow - RTF makes sense - it's *supposed* to be opened by Word - but
apparently Windows will check the file contents under certain
circumstances.  I just renamed a Word file with a .yadayada extension,
double clicked on it, and watched it open in Word.  It also picks up on
renamed Excel files.  A few spot checks: negative on exe, pdf, html, and
text files.  (This is with Win2k and Office 2k).

My suspicion is it has to do with the extra metadata you can attach to
Office documents. (Right-click->Properties->Summary)

Kelson Vibber