[Mimedefang] Sendmail Startup Script

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Mon Dec 1 10:23:58 EST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Mark Penkower wrote:

> My current sendmail startup script resides in /etc/rc.d/rc.local - sendmail
> starts with:
>
> /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q5m
>
> The Mimedefang README recommends starting sendmail with:
>
> sendmail -Ac -q5m
>

> What is the difference - will Mimedefang work with my startup script?

   You actually need both.  The first one starts the daemon (the sendmail
instance that listens for incoming email on port 25), and the second one
starts the "queue runner", a daemon that will check the client queue for
outgoing email.  If you don't have a queue runner, you run the risk of
having some locally-generated email (like MIMEDefang's quarantine
notifications) never delivered.

   HTH...

Jim