[Mimedefang] How to discard mail silently when it contains bad attachments

Stephen L Johnson stephen.johnson at mail.state.ar.us
Wed Aug 27 13:07:01 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 08:49, John.Mathews at events.wvu.edu wrote:
> Sobig.f is killing us here.  The problem isn't finding and cleaning the
> virus, its
> sending out all those useless emails that have had the virus stripped out.
> Is there
> an easy way to have the filters just discard the mail if it is found to be
> infected?

I changed the virus handling in filter() on in my mimedefang-filter. If
the virus name is 'sobig' to just dicard the message.

sub filter ($$$) {
       if ($category eq "virus") {
            md_graphdefang_log('virus',$VirusName, $RelayAddr);

            if ( $VirusName =~ /sobig/i ) {
                # if sobig, silently discard
                return action_discard();
            } else {
                # Bounce the mail!
                action_bounce("Virus $VirusName found in mail -
rejected");
            }