[Mimedefang] Re: Virus getting by MD

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Fri Aug 29 17:53:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Douglas J Hunley wrote:

> > The same thing happening to me also. I have got MD 2.36, with SpamAssasssin
>
> ditto here. SA version 2.6 ... saw about 5 of these pif files make it through
> MD already today on my own account

   I wonder if what's happening is this:  A normal message will have in
the headers, the "multipart/mixed" or "multipart/alternative" header (or
whatever it's called) which has the separators (the
"boundary=-----NextPart_000_001..." part).  If the virus appears here,
then MIME-Tools will catch it, and so will MIMEDefang.  But if a virus
scanner quotes it back to you in the body of a message, then MIME-Tools
may not see it and neither will MD - but maybe Exchange will.

   Or not...  :-)

Jim