[Mimedefang] rejecting connects

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Fri Aug 29 14:39:00 EDT 2003

"Zobel M." wrote:
> i missed it but what can i do against this?
> Aug 29 11:11:46 www sendmail[25607]: rejecting connections on daemon
> MTA: load average: 12
> Aug 29 11:11:46 www sendmail[25607]: rejecting connections on daemon
> MSA: load average: 12
> Aug 29 11:13:07 www sendmail[25607]: rejecting connections on daemon
> MTA: load average: 74
> Aug 29 11:13:07 www sendmail[25607]: rejecting connections on daemon
> MSA: load average: 74

You're getting mailbombed- either by a spammer, or possibly just with a
temporary flood of legitimate email.  (I've seen that happen a few
times.)

Try adding lines similar to these to your sendmail.mc:

define(`confQUEUE_LA', `6')dnl
define(`confREFUSE_LA', `7')dnl
define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE',`4')dnl
define(`confBAD_RCPT_THROTTLE',`4')dnl

then regenerate your sendmail.cf.  You may have to pick a set of
numbers, try for a while, then see if the system gets overloaded again-
I don't know of any rules of thumb for setting these.  :/

-kgd
apartment it is.