[Mimedefang] installing perl modules from CPAN

Royce Williams royce.williams at acsalaska.net
Thu Aug 28 13:54:00 EDT 2003

Jeremy Mates wrote:

>Your system may have a ports or package system that includes perl
>modules, or you may want to use the newer CPANPLUS instead. Otherwise,
>the CPAN module allows you to install and update perl modules on CPAN:

If it's a FreeBSD system, its ports system is a good way to keep
your local copy of Perl up to date.  I recommend installing the
perl port, telling the system to use the local perl by default, and
then installing the needed modules with portinstall (part of the
portupgrade port, which I highly recommend).

It appears that the FreeBSD p5-TimeDate port contains Date::Format
and Date::Parse.

In brief (though I'm not an expert on this, and the relatively
recent CPANPLUS thing may have an effect on this procedure):

cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade && make clean && make all && make install
portinstall perl5
use.perl port   #(to tell the system to use the local perl by default)
portinstall p5-TimeDate

I'm sure that someone who's done this more recently than I have
will have some input. :)

-royce