[Mimedefang] installing perl modules from CPAN

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Wed Aug 27 22:28:01 EDT 2003

* cc <cc at belfordhk.com>
> Btw, this is a recurring issue I've had with other perl packages. In
> these situations, what exactly do I do? Do I just grab whatever module
> or do I grab and install all related perl modules(something I'm not
> too keen on)?

Your system may have a ports or package system that includes perl
modules, or you may want to use the newer CPANPLUS instead. Otherwise,
the CPAN module allows you to install and update perl modules on CPAN:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install CPAN'

Do *not* install Bundle::CPAN, nor Bundle::libnet until the most
up-to-date version of CPAN has been installed. Older versions of
the CPAN module may attempt to upgrade perl itself, which is
usually not what you want.

Once the latest CPAN module is installed (1.7x at time of writing), one
can install modules via the cpan script:

cpan -i Date::Parse Date::Format